Celebrate the holidays by taking this quiz on Governors Island!
Updated: New and improved with answers highlighted in red!
Earlier this week, all of the staff on Governors Island got into the spirit of the season with our annual holiday party. As a part of the festivities, we have a quiz on all things Governors Island.
This year, Able Engineering, who handles maintenance here, won in a landslide.
How well do you know the Island? Take the quiz below and find out! (Answers will be posted next week).
1. Which figure in American history is NOT depicted on the WPA murals located in Pershing Hall?
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Benedict Arnold
- Robert E. Lee
- Paul Revere
2. During the Coast Guard era, there was a day care center on the Island. What was the monthly cost for child care during this period?
3. What was the runner-up name for Molly Brown in the naming contest?
- Hello Gritty Kitty
4. Approximately how many cubic yards of land fill were brought to Governors Island at the turn of the 20th century to make up the southern part of the Island?
5. Approximately how many cubic yards of land fill will be brought to Governors Island to complete the park & public space plan?
6. Which feature was removed from the Governors House in the 1930s?
- The widow’s walk
- A dry moat
- The 3rd floor
- Two-story porches
7. Approximately, how many bottles of champagne were consumed at the 2011 Veuve Clicquot Polo Match?
8. What is the official name of the color of the Nolan Park Houses?
- Buttercup yellow
- Sunshine by osmosis yellow
- French yellow
- Saffron yellow
9. The cannons in front of the Commanding Officer’s House were acquired from which war?
- The War of 1812
- The Spanish American War
- World War I
- World War II
10. What color will the MTA Tunnel Vent Shaft be after the Park and Public Space project is complete?
- Orange in honor of the Dutch
- Nautical Red
- Different colors every night like the Empire State Building
11. Which body of water does NOT surround Governors Island?
- Hudson River
- East River
- Buttermilk Channel
- Upper New York Bay
12. How may runs does the Coursen make in the average month? (A run is considered from GI and back)
13. In 1903, how many acres was Governors Island?
14. Which aviator has NOT landed on Governors Island?
- Wilbur Wright
- Glenn Curtis
- Captain “Sully” Sullenberger
- Major Henry H. “Hap” Arnold
If you really think you know the Island, try your hand at the bonus questions below!
One point for each question answered correctly!
- Who was responsible for building the first church on the Island? Dr. John McVickar in 1847
- True or false: Governors Island was once connected to Manhattan? True (tens of thousands of years ago)
- Wouter van Twiller, who originally purchased Governors Island from the Lenape, inspired stories based on his appearance and temper. Which famous American wrote these stories and what were they called? Knickerbocker Tales by Washington Irving
- Which GI building was NOT part of the NY arsenal located on the island until WWI? Building 108
- Who was Nolan Park named after? Major General Dennis Nolan
Filed under: Governors Island 101 | Tagged: Governors Island history, Holiday quiz | 1 Comment »