This weekend (July 27-28) features a diverse array of offerings on Governors Island to satisfy even the most artistic, inventive, and curious minds!
We are excited to welcome back The Poetry Society of New York for the third annual New York Poetry Festival! This two-day celebration of NYC’s vibrant poetry community includes over 50 poetry organizations and 200 poets across three stages in historic Colonel’s Row. Visitors will be able to enjoy healthy and delicious food options, a beer garden, the Children’s Festival, and the Poetry Brothel from 11am to 5pm this Saturday and Sunday.
On Sunday, it’s about to get scientific at Designing for Flight, an exhibit presented by the New York Hall of Science exploring some of the design and science involved in common and exciting forms of flight. From 12pm to 4pm the Parade Ground becomes the Design Zone. Bring your own kite (BYOK), enjoy demos by NYSCI Explainers, and experiment with making flying machines at this fun and informative event.
With so much happening on Governors Island, it’s hard to believe that even greater things are planned for the future. This weekend’s offerings also include two opportunities at a fist-hand glimpse into the ongoing transformation of Governors Island with a Behind the Scenes Hard Hat Tour. Come by Liggett Arch on July 27th at 11:30am andJuly 28th at 3pm to walk through the construction site of the 30 acres of new park and public spaces at the center of the Island. Children age 7 and above welcome. All attendees must wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes.
Remember, the East River Ferry is a great way to get from Queens, Brooklyn and Midtown to Governors Island. Check the full schedule to plan your next trip!
Other Events This Weekend Include:
- Fête Paradiso, 10:30am to 6:30pm, Nolan Park: For the first time in the US, a spectacular collection of vintage French carnival rides is open to the public here on Governors Island! The Parisian experience is free to visitors both young and old at this magnifique fairground festival complete with French music and cuisine!
- Bike New York Classes, Sunday, 11am to 1pm, Buoy Parking Lot: Learn how to ride a bike for the first time or brush up on your basic biking skills with free Bike New York classes on Governors Island. Visit online for details and free pre-registration.
- Vintage Baseball, Saturday, 12pm to 4pm, Parade Ground: See baseball played as it was at the turn of the last century! Visit the Parade Ground and enjoy America’s pastime the way it used to be played!
- The Skate Truck NYC, 11am to 6pm, Buoy Parking Lot: The Skate Truck NYC provides roller-skating equipment, helmets and safety equipment to skaters of any age. Skate for fun. Skate for health. Skate for life!
- Children’s Museum of the Arts, Saturday & Sunday, 11am – 3pm, Nolan Park: Come to Nolan Park for the Children’s Museum of the Arts’ Free Art Island Outpost.
- Pop-up Library & Outdoor Reading Room, Saturday & Sunday, 12pm – 6pm: Settle in with a good book at the pop-up library and outdoor reading room presented by the Brooklyn, Queens and NY public libraries.
- FIGMENT Summer-Long Installations, Saturday & Sunday, 12pm – 5:30pm, Parade Ground: All weekend enjoy the interactive Sculpture Garden, artist-designed Minigolf Course, City of Dreams Pavilion, and the Treehouse in the the Parade Grounds.
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council Presents Building 110: LMCC’s Arts Center at Governors Island, 11am-5pm, Building 110: LMCC and its artists-in-residence welcome audience to Building 110′s Gallery and their studios. Discover new artists, engage in the artistic process and simply enjoy the art in this stunning setting this summer. LMCC is also the lead presenter of the River to River Festival, a four- week, multidisciplinary arts festival throughout Lower Manhattan.
- Better Than Jam Handmade Gifts Shop, 11am to 6pm, Nolan Park, Building 16: The Brooklyn boutique of all locally handmade products brings the creations of New York City’s most talented artists and crafters to the beautiful and historic houses of Nolan Park. This weekend, the crafting gets creative with card making and stamping with S2 Stationery on the Island!
Get the full list of Governors Island exhibits and programs on our website. Looking forward to seeing you on the Island!